Thursday 8 August 2013

Welcome to What the Redhead is Reading


As a history editor who publishes books for undergraduates, I always ask prospective authors: “99% of your students are not going to become history teachers. So….what do you want them to get out of your book? What ideas do you want them to understand? How does your book change how your readers think about their daily life?”

Today, there is a lot to read. We are inundated with words. But if we want to derive more meaning from what we read, we need to ask ourselves these same questions: “What did I get out of this sentence, this phrase, this chapter, this book?” “What ideas have I understood?” “How does this book change how I think about my own life?”

This book blog is my guide to reading more deeply. It is also, I hope, an introduction to books that you may not have considered ever picking up.

The best conversations I have with people these days are about books. I hope that this blog will serve as a place for discussion and debate and, of course, suggestions for books to read.

 All feedback is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment